Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rasmalai!


Rasmalai! Just the name makes me drool ;) This is one of my all-time favorite Indian desserts! The last time I was in India I wanted to make this as we (my cousin and I) were not huge fans of the rasmalai sold at the local sweet shop. So, I ended up improvising it! I got some ready made rasgullas, washed/ squeezed them in cold running water, then added them to the badam milk mixture that was boiling and almost done. It was really really delicious and we ended up eating them, even as mid-night snacks!


This time, I wanted to make it from scratch and found very good recipes at vahrehvah.com and showmethecurry.com. I mostly followed http://showmethecurry.com/desserts/ras-malai-indian-dessert-recipe.html this and the result was just out of the world!

Apart from whatever is said on the recipe website, here are my additions:
* I used almost 18 cups of milk, totally (approx 8 cups for the malai and 10 cups for the ras).
* I did not use a food processor and kneaded the malai by hand and the result was equally awesome.
* Each cup of milk yielded 3 malai balls.
* While reducing the milk for the ras, I reduced it to almost half and added the instant badam milk mix (Badam feast) to it. It is so much easier and give a lot of flavor.
* In addition, I did add some saffron, ground cardamom and sugar(to taste).




* The whole process did not take more then 2-2 1/2 hours. So, it is not bad at all!
* I just crushed some pistachios and sprinkled them before serving. It really made it look professional ;)
* The rasmalai tasted the best after 12 hours. We ate it for almost a week and it just got better by the day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment